Friday, May 13, 2011

I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, of course I'm superstitious.

Blogger was down so I wasn't really planning on writing a post. Then I started seeing all these fun facts about Friday the 13th, which it is and I'm afraid of it, so I'm going to organize them into one helpful post.

First of all, I'm convinced that it was my obsessive compulsive ancestors that started most of these things. Fears of certain dates, thinking random objects or animals have super evil powers, religious rituals, well they all smack of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. So today I salute you my OCD kin. Happy Friday the 13th. I won't be leaving my house.

Friday is an unlucky day and 13 is an unlucky number, put them both together and you have DOOM!

Wikipedia says:
Friday the 13th occurs when the thirteenth day of a month falls on a Friday, which superstition holds to be a day of bad luck. In the Gregorian calendar, this day occurs at least once, but at most three times a year. Any month's 13th day will fall on a Friday if the month starts on a Sunday.
In numerology, the number twelve is considered the number of completeness, as reflected in the twelve months of the year, twelve hours of the clock, twelve tribes of Israel, twelve Apostles of Jesus, twelve gods of Olympus, etc., whereas the number thirteen was considered irregular, transgressing this completeness. There is also a superstition, thought by some to derive from the Last Supper or a Norse myth, that having thirteen people seated at a table will result in the death of one of the diners.
Famous people born on Friday the 13th include Samuel Beckett (13 April 1906), Margaret Thatcher (13 October 1923), Fidel Castro (13 August 1926) and Steve Buscemi (13 December 1957).

Tupac Shakur Died on Friday, September 13, 1996

Many hospitals have no room 13, while airports don't have a Gate 13.

According to Smithsonian Magazine The fear of Friday the 13th costs American a billion dollars per year in absenteeism, train and plane cancellations, and reduced commerce on the 13th of the month. (OCD employees are notoriously unreliable. Just ask my old bosses.)



Have fun, kids.