Thursday, October 6, 2011

As a SAHM, I've got it pretty good.

I have a confession to make: Most days at 4 pm I rush around the house tossing toys into baskets and sippy cups into the dishwasher. I dress myself and the ladies, put on a little mascara, and throw something in the oven. Then, 30 minutes later, when Louis comes in the door from work everything is all put together June Cleaver style.

Reality?

The house looks like this all day:


The ladies and I kick it in our jammies all day:

I do pilates, we go for walks, I can watch HGTV, and sip a lukewarm cup of coffee all day.

Now, that's not to say that I live a life of relaxing luxury. (And there are days where I'm really ambitious and clean the bathroom.) That would be like saying a child care provider, teacher, cook, and housekeeper don't have real jobs, and we all know that's not true. I do all those jobs 24 hours a day with few breaks. I have small people trying to get into my lap while I'm on the toilet,  crashing my shower and taking a poop, destroying my house, and I'm so far out of touch with adult-speak that I'll ask a grown man if he "needs to go make a little potty." I work hard. I homeschool my kids and I take care of them well. While I feel as though I deserve respect for my job, I not going to sit here for even 5 seconds and try to say that I have it harder than a working mom.  Working moms not only have to do their "real job" all day long, they then have to come home and cram 12 hours worth of household duties and parenting into 4 hours. They also get to experience mom guilt for being gone all day and punched in the face with judgey statements like "someone else is raising your kids for you."

A mom is a mom. Period. They all deserve respect, but I gotta say, I don't know how working moms do it all. And don't even get me started on the witchcraft and shape-shifting it must take to get everything done as a working SINGLE mom. They must have one of those twirly necklace things that Hermione had in Harry Potter or something.

Go hug a mom today. They deserve it.