Wednesday, May 1, 2013

A Terrifying Parenting Lesson Learned

Last night I almost lost Zofia. Typing that sentence, reliving the moment, is making my hands shake to where I can barely type.

We were folding laundry together in the living room like we do every week. She was taking clothes to her and Athena's rooms to put them in their dressers just like she always does. She makes the task take so much longer and their drawers are a disaster, but she loves to help her mama. I was preparing another pile for her to take when I heard s terrifying scream and a thunderous crash. I flew into Athena's room like a woman on fire and I couldn't even see Zofia. Athena's entire dresser and television set had toppled on top of her. She was trapped and screaming. The terror.

Oh, friends.

The terror.

I pushed everything off of her terrified of what I was going to find. By the sheer grace of a power much higher than me she was fine. Shaken, but fine.

I didn't sleep last night. My mind tortured me with all the "coulda beens." What if the TV fell on her head? What if the weight of it all had fallen differently and crushed her body? Why didn't I have it set up more safely? Well, it's because the dresser is so small I never thought about the danger before.


Only three drawers high. Sturdy. Flat on the floor. TV fits perfectly. But none of that matters. The fact is it still fell and nearly crushed my 2 year old daughter. I will never forget this. I will never be careless with furniture and kids and anchor EVERYTHING. I will kiss her every night and thank the Heavens that I still have her.


Others don't. www.meghanshope.org/

Secure your furniture. Spread the word.


9 comments:

Traci said...

Oh my gosh!!!! How scary! I'm so happy she's OK.

The same thing happened to my Olivia when she was about 3 1/2 ... I was in another room and Liv opened her bottom dresser drawer and stood in it, making the whole thing fall on top of her. Our saving grace was that the full weight of the dresser was absorbed by the bed..only the drawers came out. Scariest moment ever.

Sending you many, many hugs today!!!!

souphead said...

Oh Nadja! I'm so sorry you had to experience this. It is one of my worst fears. There is a giant TV like this in Avery's room too and I am always afraid of what could happen.
I am going to push my husband to get rid of it (we have a small, light replacement already).

So glad she's ok. Hugs and <3 to you my friend.

XOXO
Suz (@souphead)

Ky | TwoPretzels said...

OH my gosh. Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh.

I am so glad that Zofia is ok. Oh my gosh.

I understand completely. (This is how we felt when Lila fell in the pool.)

I had read Megan's story months ago and had thought about posting it on my blog. I should have.

I am so glad that everything is ok. As parents we take these moments and we learn from them, don't we?

Terror.

Nadja Brocus said...

Thank you, Traci.

Zofia absorbed the whole thing. Nothing else took the brunt. I can't believe she wasn't hurt.

Nadja Brocus said...

Suz, the amour of people telling me their going to implement changes is exactly what I wanted to accomplish by sharing this.

Thank you.

Nadja Brocus said...

Kylee I honestly thought of your near miss with Lila. So easily could our lives have been tragically changed.

k said...

Oh my goodness sakes! How horribly scary.

I'm glad (SO GLAD) that she is okay.

Wrestling Kitties said...

Oh Nadja. I don't have words. Just the thought makes my stomach turn. Something/someone was watching over your beautiful daughter. I am so glad she is OK and will take this scary accident as a reminder to make sure our stuff is secure. these fragile little babies of ours. Hugs.

Nadja Brocus said...

Jenn, I can't even fully express how scary this was. She was under everything. I thought there would be blood. Secure EVERYTHING.