Friday, April 25, 2008

The God Particle?


So, I still haven't stopped obsessing over the universe yet and I've been doing a little, um, light reading. Will Physicists Find God? Newsweek International Edition ... This is one article among many.


"After this experiment, will we have a final theory of how the universe was created?

It is possible that this experiment will give theoretical physicists a brilliant new idea that will explain all the particles and all the forces that we know and bring everything together in a beautiful mathematically consistent theory. But it is very unlikely that a final theory will come just from this experiment. If had to bet, I would bet it won't be that easy.
As we come closer to developing an ultimate theory of the universe, how will this impact religion?

As science explains more and more, there is less and less need for religious explanations. Originally, in the history of human beings, everything was mysterious. Fire, rain, birth, death, all seemed to require the action of some kind of divine being. As time has passed, we have explained more and more in a purely naturalistic way. This doesn't contradict religion, but it does takes away one of the original motivations for religion."


Thoughts? Especially from those that lead toward the more religious side? Is this too much for blogging?

3 comments:

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

For me, this one's easy. I'm a believer in God. I think that the omniscient, omnipotent being wants us earthlings to explore, research and pry into the "why's" of the world. It's a good thing. Ultimately, I believe that God created fire, wind, rain,etc. - but God also showed enough foresight knowing that us humans would question the creation of the world, so God backed it up with scientific reasoning.

I may be ignorant, but it works for me.

Wrestling Kitties said...

I would agree with K. and I also believe in God.

I think we would be a boring and stupid race of people if we did not ask questions. God created the earth and as K. said, had the forsight to know we would question and gave that to us. He has allowed us to continue to grow as people and not stop questioning and gaining knowledge about the world around us. Of course this is the greatest gift but could also be what ultimatly hurts as as humans, but having that ability to make choices, disagree and question is ONE of the greatest gifts God could have given us.

I have a strong faith in God and as important & interesting as science is it will never take away from my belief. who's to say it wasn't a big explosion (like the big bang) that God created to create the Universe. God created Earth but 7 days isn't neccessarily 7 days in our time. I don't believe in evolution but I believe in adaptation. Things like this are reasons why science has loop holes to me.

Sad Panda said...

If you break down any living thing, be it plant or animal, there is a definite question of God or Science. Body systems and plant photosynthesis (among hundreds of other things) are two things that are so complicated that it leaves someone thinking, "If God truly made this, wouldn't he make it a whole hell of a lot easier?" But then a thought appears that says, "But science could not have done this all on its own, either."

I think that it's a collaboration of efforts between God and science. Science provides the means while God provides the reasoning. I don't think that religion versus science is a black-and-white issue, but a scale of where you believe. I am more of a faith-based person, but I do think that there are some religious stretches that can only be explained by science; likewise, there are scientific stretches that can be explained with religion.