Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Gardening and Backyard Farming....

In this day of funky GMO foods and deadly meat recalls nothing makes me happier than feeding my kids straight from my parents' backyard. They have an amazing garden, happy chickens that give us multicolored eggs, and if there happens to be a jerky rooster, into my crock pot he goes.

Athena has been having a rough time with croup. Not a whole lot of food or drink is appealing and the last thing I want is a poor, dehydrated child. Gammy brought us the biggest most beautiful Sun, Moon, and Stars watermelon to tempt Ms. Bee.

Athena was a fan:




Get yer organic seeds here.

Butternut squash is becoming a quick favorite with the ladies. It's so simple to make and it turned out unbelievably good.

To make it:

Preheat oven to 350*. Take one big squash, cut it lengthwise, and scoop out all the seeds. Put it in a baking dish with 1/2 inch of water and sprinkle it generously with coarse sea salt. Bake it for an hour and voila... tasty squash. We ate ours with roasted potatoes and green beans.



Get yer organic seeds here.

I love how popular backyard farming is getting. Such good, healthy food and wonderful memories for my little ladies. I'm pretty sure we need a goat.